Types of queen excluder and advantages/disadvantages of each (9 marks)
When can they be used?
|Plastic flat||Clean with washing soda||Need large tray to soak it in
Bends very easily, can ping bees.
Easier to squash bees as flat to hive top
|Metal perforated flat||Scorch with blowlamp. Can be done quickly||Can also bend if heavily propolised down|
|metal bar framed/unframed||Scorch with blowlamp. Can be done quickly.
Good bee space, less squashing of bees
Less likely to bend
|If used with top bee space bees may build comb if frame makes > bee space|
When can a queen excluder be used (6 marks)
- under a swarm to stop them absconding as queen can not leave
- to stop queen laying in supers
- control location of queen
- can be used to hold newspaper down during merge
- Place between two brood boxes to narrow down space queen will be in to find in large hive
- to prevent queen going up into feeder when feeding hive
- Under hive to stop queen leaving if swarming imminent (not ideal method at all though)